January 29, 2010

Need more space, always need more space

One might think that that 12 raised beds and two large garden areas would be enough. They are not! I'm always looking for one more spot to tuck in a plant (or a few dozen). In addition to my usual annuals, I'm looking forward to putting in more raspberries, blueberries, currants and horseradish.

This year we will grow potatoes in a 4X8 raised bed garden, 10 smart pots/grow bags and quite a few large plastic pots. Potatoes are so easy to grow in most anything. I have heard of people growing them right in bags of soil. I've also seen them in a wide variety of containers including tires. I am always looking for a place to grow more potatoes. We have some food grade buckets we may use this year too. Drill holes in the bottom, add some good dirt, spuds and water then watch them grow!

Have you tried or heard of any unique methods for growing spuds? More ideas are always appreciated!

7 comments:

Susan (aka Sunny) said...

Ruby, I am going to try potato boxes this year along with the traditional potato mounds but I have heard mixed results on the boxes. I like the idea because it would be a space saver. I know how you feel about never enough space... Each year at the end of the season I add more garden space and soon there will be no yard. lol Keep us posted on what works for you!

Chris said...

Hi Sunny- no yard sounds pretty good to us. Harvesting is a lot more fun than mowing! I've had both average and great yields with all the methods I've used for growing potatoes. I can't really pin down any one factor that has made the difference. I guess I will just have to keep experimenting :)

tainterturtles said...

My hubby started growing our potatoes in straw bales....it works really well. You can do an Internet search for growing potatoes in straw.

Cat said...

Those are so cool, I have a friend who grows potatoes above ground in old tiers and another who grows in wooden boxes with layers of straw. I'm learning so much through your blog, thank you.
Knittnkitten***

brandi said...

~my grandpa used to grow them in a wheelbarrow...and i havea friend who uses an old farmhouse kitchen sink! we have tried a handful of times but something is just not working...he told me wait for the eyes then toss them into the ground, lightly cover till green shoots come out and coover again...well our eyes have never evolved from there...last week we just took some out to try again...brightest blessings~

Chris said...

I've had pretty good luck with growing potatoes in a mix of rich soil and leaves. I have read about growing them in straw but haven't tried it. For now I have to stick with methods that take up as little room as possible.

donna said...

Chris, as I've mentioned numberous times, I know nothing about growing vegetables but think I'll check out the grow bags you mention in this post. Thanks.

donna

Thanks for visiting!