June 26, 2009

Rhubarb, rhubarb and more rhubarb

I'm very pleased with how the gardens are doing. I've been picking a lot of peas, lettuce and herbs this week. The rhubarb is doing especially well. I haven't had time to try any new recipes but have come up with a tasty way to use it up. I have mixed rhubarb and dried fruit with juice and cooked it over medium heat until it begins to thicken. I add a little stevia or other sweetener if needed. Chill and serve. Tonight's combo was dried mango, cranberry juice and rhubarb. Yesterday I used dried apricot, rhubarb and orange juice. I didn't measure very carefully but it seems to work with a little more than a cup of chopped rhubarb, a little less than a cup of dried fruit and about 3/4 cup of juice. I look forward to experimenting with more rhubarb ideas until the tomatoes, beans and potatoes begin to take over the garden.

4 comments:

donna said...

We're having real summer weather here in WI, aren't we? Looks like a lovely day in this photo.

tainterturtles said...

I love rhubarb, so do our kids.

I need to get out into my garden and do some massive weeding...if the rain would ever stop!

Your yard photo looks nice.

Kathi said...

Rhubarb is one of my favorites. I canned a ton of it already this year (stewed - we eat it on our waffles) and I made Dan a strawberry rhubarb pie for father's day.

Teresa~Gardening with Soule said...

Sounds like you are really enjoying your garden. It is nice to reap the rewards of you hard work. Happy fourth of July

Thanks for visiting!