March 16, 2009

Ground Cherries

This evening I was looking over recipes using some of the things we grow. We planted ground cherries a few years ago and are finding as we expected that ground cherries are forever. They reseed very easily but that is fine with us. They have been nice for fresh eating, wine making and chutney. I just ran across a recipe suggestion for chocolate covered ground cherries. I will have to give it a try. This year I will also make a ground cherry pie. I usually don't eat wheat but this looks like a nice recipe to make for guests. They can eat the pie while I sip on some ground cherry and pineapple wine. If you aren't familiar with ground cherries
click on this site to learn more.
Ground Cherry Pie
2 1/2 cups ground cherries
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons water
1 (9 inch) pie shell

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons butter

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
Wash ground cherries and place in unbaked pie shell. Mix brown sugar and 1 tablespoon flour and sprinkle over cherries. Sprinkle water over top. Mix together 3 tablespoons flour and 3 tablespoons sugar. Cut butter in until crumbly. Top cherry mixture with crumbs.
Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, reduce temperature to 375 degrees F and continue to bake for 25 minutes.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I got a packet of ground cherries last fall with my order from four seasons. I thought they were an annual and have yet to plant them. Do you think they're the same type? If so, that would be a wonderful addition to my fruit collection of plants in my yard.

Chris said...

The ground cherry I have is an annual but self-seeds very easily. I think what I have is Physalis pruinosa. I have them in an area where I am glad that they reseed. I just weed any plants that try to start where I don't want them. I like the fact that they cover the ground densely which is helping to keep weeds out of some areas that I will plant with perennials in the future. They are not as flavorful as other fruit but we enjoy them.

Connie said...

I have never seen or tried these. Are they very sweet? They might be nice combined with raspberries or another colorful fruit for a pie or cobbler. I make fruit cobblers with gluten free oats.

Chris said...

Connie- they have a delicate, slightly sweet flavor. My Mom grew them years ago and I didn't like them much but I have acquired a taste for them as I got older.

I like to cut them in 1/2 and have them with other fresh fruit and a spoonful of yogurt. They would be good in a mixed fruit cobbler too.

Anonymous said...

I grew up with these myself! Where did you find them originally? I would love to put some in our test garden!

Chris said...

We have 2 different varieties. One is called Aunt Molly and I bought it locally as a plant a few years ago. I have saved seed from it and replanted it in another one of our gardens. It has reseeded itself easily. I also bought seed for a variety called Pineapple from Territorial Seed Company. I grew that for the first time last year. Both are good.

lookinggood said...

Can you please post a picture of the plant itself. I just recently discovered these while vacationing in Canada. I definitely enjoyed them and hope to plant them this spring. But I would love to know what the plant itself looks like.

Thanks for visiting!